воскресенье, 29 ноября 2015 г.

Article Rendering

I’ve just read the article called “Translation table explaining the truth behind British politeness becomes internet hit”. The author of the article is Alice Philipson. It was published on the 2 of September 2013. This article is about misunderstandings in the translation. There are some recommendations how to understand British while you are speaking with them.

This article can be logically divided into two parts. The first part shows us the table with different examples what British say and what it means. The second part says about popularity of this table and by whom and why it has been posted on the Internet. The author said that it may have originally been drawn up by a Dutch company as an attempt to help employees working in the UK.

This article was quite understandable and interesting. In my opinion, it is very useful and informative, especially for students studying English. It is very important not only to know English, to be able to translate different expressions, but it is also very important to understand what forgings mean, to feel the mood of different people and to learn to understand the meaning hidden in the statement.  In conclusion, I would like to say that this article is very relevant in our time because there are a lot if people travel to UK, work there and, of course, communicate with British and it is very important for them to understand each other properly.

What's your opinion, does it problem concern only British or not?

You can find the article here: 
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/10280244/Translation-table-explaining-the-truth-behind-British-politeness-becomes-internet-hit.html

4 комментария:

  1. Kate, thank you for your rendering! You touch upon all aspects of this interesting article. I agree with you that this theme is very usefull for people that work with English language. All of us faced with problem concern translations. In different countries our usual pharases have the other and sometimes the opposite meaning. We should be careful with it, but i am sure after this article i won't have problems with prases(at least that is mentioned in your article).
    I think this problem concern all languges around the world, en ex. in Russian we have a lot of expressions that have double meanings(sometimes it can be even words!)

    ОтветитьУдалить
  2. Kate, thanks a lot for you rendering. It's a really good job! Your rendering is informative and interesting. I must be ashamed but I knew almost nothing about such phrases with double meanings. Thanks to your review, I and our other groupmates could avoid ridiculous situations in the feature. I think this problem concern different cultures and people should be more careful during the conversation with foreigners.

    ОтветитьУдалить
  3. It is a very interesting review. The topic of the article is really important today. This article can be very helpful for workers, travellers and for people, who just study English at school or at the university. I can only agree with the previous commentators and repeat that this problem concerns all languages, especially Russian which is familiar to us.

    ОтветитьУдалить
  4. Kate, you've chosen very interesting theme, it was pleasure for me to read. Of course, it's very useful for all people who somehow connected with English language. I think this problem is quite common in lots of languages, so we should be careful communicating using foreign languages, trying not to stuck in some unpleasant dialogue :)

    ОтветитьУдалить